Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Brief update


So, I haven’t written a blog in a while. I guess I’ll take this free time during orientation to give a brief update about some things.

First, I want to let everyone know where I’m at in my fundraising efforts. As of my last update I was at $2,900. This means that I still need to raise $3,600. That’s only 36 people giving $100 each. I know that not everyone has sent in their support, so I am confident that this number will continue to rise as the year progresses. If any of you would like to donate or know more information about what I’m doing just send me a message and I’ll do my best to get that to you quickly.

Second, I thought I’d let everyone know about my placements while I am in Chicago. I will be working with an after-school program at First Church of the Brethren. I will also be working with an organization called Breakthrough. With this organization I’ll be working with first and second graders during an after-school program. As far as specific things I’ll be doing, I’m really not exactly sure.

Thirdly, I am having a blast at orientation so far, and it’s only Tuesday! It didn’t really start off that way, though. See, I have been anxious about this for a few weeks. The few nights before leaving for orientation, I didn’t sleep very well, if at all. Sunday, I took some of my belongings to the house I’ll be staying while in Chicago. Walking around the city with suitcases can be pretty agonizing. But I managed to get it done. I didn’t sleep well Sunday night either. A very close friend reassured me all would be well. I started my trek to the airport at 7:30 am for an 11:05 flight. By the time I got to the airport my legs were sore and tired. My shoulders ached from the two bags I had draped over them. Then, out of the blue I began to get the chills, but I was feeling very warm. I thought to myself, “I can’t get sick, they’ll send me home.” It wouldn’t go away. I tried to sleep on the plain, but didn’t get to do much of that. We arrived in Newark and I found my way to the terminal where the YAVs would be meeting. They seemed like a great and fun group of people, but I was just tired and feeling miserable. I decided I would go to one of the shops and find something that would help make me feel better, even if only temporary. The Advil seemed to help, along with the Coke I washed it down with. I began to perk up and be my “normal” self everyone seems to know and love. But on the van ride to the retreat site things started to go back to feeling miserable. I knew that my anxiety and insecurity of going into the realm of the unknown, I was making myself physically ill. My group arrived at the site after dinner had been served, but they had made us plates so we could eat when we arrived. By the time we were done eating the evening worship service had just started. It was during this time of worship I let go of everything and gave it over to God. He is the Great Physician, if I was going to be helped, I knew He would be the one to do it. I’m happy to say I had an amazing night of sleep and, with the exception of some stiffness from carrying all my luggage, I’m feeling so much better today! I would still covet your prayers for continued health, not just for me and my housemates, but for all the other YAVs. The work we will be doing is going to be emotionally draining and at times physically demanding.

Finally, I’d like to say thank you to everyone who has already supported me financially, but also to those who are supporting me with prayer. I know the power of prayer is a very great thing.

I’m having a wonderful time so far and I know I’ll be learning many more great things during this week and also during the weeks and months to come. I’m excited for what God has in store for me.

Well, I think it’s time to go play Frisbee with some of the others! Until next time!

James 

No comments:

Post a Comment